Posted by wrdnrd on 2014-04-05 01:41:42 UTC and edited at 2014-04-13 19:23:23 UTCPermalink
On 3/16 (sun.) i tried starting some hot pepper seeds:
- Big Jim @ 5
- fish pepper @ 2
This past weekend i saw that 1 of the big Jim had sprouted! Amazing, since this is a pepper the spouse bought dehydrated at the farmers market, so to have one of them sprout is amazing. Very interested to see if it grows at all, if it produces fruit, if the fruit grows true to type, et cetera.
Neither of the fish peppers sprouted. I've had problems with seeds from this company germinating. I just threw down the last 7 seeds in to see if anything happens. Really frustrated trying to get a fish pepper plant going here. We'll see what happens. If nothing germinates, i guess i'll try to get to the Seattle Tilth fair this year and just buy a plant.
Today (4/4 | fri.) i began starting some tomatoes:
- black cherry (my favorite / the most successful of the tomatoes i've grown -- saved these seeds myself) @ 4
- ditmarsher @ 4
- hahms gelbe @ 4
Hope any of these germinate. Seed-starting is still a new adventure for me and it doesn't always go terribly well, which leaves me frustrated and sad.
Next i need to look at what seeds i want to sow directly in their pot. I might just do that with the herbs and onions. Then to decide what other veggies i'm going to grow this year -- i think edamame for sure, for one thing.
Big Jim sprout continues to do really well (keeping it on my mantel under a daylight spectrum CFL).
Tomato seed update: Really good germination!
- ditmarsher @ 2/4
- hahms gelbe @ 2/4
- black cherry @ 4/4
REALLY excited that the black cherry germinated so well. Hope this portends well for getting some dang tomatoes this year. Haven't had this tomato in about 4 years because the last 2 times i tried to start a plant it failed before summer really hit.
* moved germinated tomato seeds into pots & put them on the mantel under light with pepper
* Cleaning pots!
- I dumped all the old strawberries and threw them away (last summer was WARM and i couldn't keep up with watering).
- Dumped the mints (julep, chocolate) into the waiting bin to be divided/re-planted.
- Also dumped the jasmine into the waiting bin so i can scrub its pot and then properly re-pot it with fresh dirt and some compost.
Still no sprouts on the fish peppers, but it took the big Jim about 2-3 weeks to have a sprout. Continuing to keep my fingers crossed, and at least if the seeds fail i'll know in sufficient time to plan a trip to the Tilth fair.
Note to self. Strawberries:
Fish pepper sprouts! Noticed them earlier this week; put them into dirt/pots today. 3/7 -- not bad! Hope i get just ONE plant out of this.
Re-potted jasmine. Cut off the dead part of the rosemary and re-potted the healthy part (into something smaller, freeing up 1 self-watering pot for tomatoes or cucumbers this summer).
Did not get mint re-potted yet. Pulled up the wasabi to re-pot it and realized i have beautiful leaves and almost no wasabi roots. [weeps] I wonder what i'm doing wrong? Whatever it is, i'm doing it wrong with both the horseradish and the wasabi, because i've never gotten very many usable roots on the horseradish either. Hmm.
Want to get a few more seeds started this week. Possibly onions, annnnnnd maybe peas and lettuce? We'll see. Gonna need to find time to do gardening stuff a few nights this week. Have reached the point where i can't get it all done on a sunday afternoon, in part because my back can't take it.
When i was little, i'd do "experiments" in seed germination with corn. Never realized until now why Mom was probably having me use corn -- stuff germinates FAST. Planted 5 blue corn seeds last weekend and have 5 little plantlets already.
Today, started seeds for herbs. Trying my dehydrator as a germination spot for these. Always wanted to take up the dehydrator on its challenge that it's a good place to germinate seeds, and these are a low-investment way to do it! Started:
- Italian oregano
- summer savory
On day 2 of the 3-day dehydrator experiment, i realized i should have also planted control seeds to see if the dehydrator really does help the seeds germinate faster. [facepalm] Well, i'll experiment this week with some onion seeds and will make a point to do a control on that. Last night i did notice some sage and marjoram seedlings poking out of the dirt. I'd really like to see some of the Italian oregano get going.
Today i direct-sowed (because i don't have time to nurture little seedlings before i'm on vacation in another week):
- lettuce (tennis ball) @ 3
- spinach (strawberry) @ 5
- pea (tom thumb) @ 3
I'm also going to direct-sow some onions:
- evergreen white nebuka
- ishikura improved
And i'm going to try the dehydrator germination experiment (with control this time!) with:
- mini-purplette bunching onions
Tho' i'm not at all sure how these will turn out, because the seeds are pretty old. But i have quite a lot of them, so i might as well try to get some going. If any germinate and produce onions, i'll count it a win.